Main objectives and Tasks of the Department :-
1. Keeping, organizing and introducing to public the national intellectual product issued both inside and outside Jordan.
2. Collecting and keeping books, manuscripts, periodicals, photographs, recordings, videotapes, and other materials relevant to the National Jordanian Heritage in particular, to the Arab world and to the Arabic and Islamic civilization as well as to Human heritage in general.
3. Collecting governmental documents from ministries and public departments and institutions. documents relevant to Jordan as well as private documents, keeping, organizing and publishing them in accordance with the provisions of this regulation.
4. Performing Deposit responsibilities in accordance with Copyright Law and Deposit Regulation.
5. Issuing the National Bibliography and the Unified Index.
6. Publishing specialized and objective indexes and bibliographies, and facilitating their use.
7. Working as a supervisor and coordinator for public libraries, determining the standards of library works to improve libraries and library services, and planning to establish new libraries.
8. Introducing information and library services to researchers and learners who have benefit from the Department's inventory.
9. Introducing photocopying, and mutual lending services on the national level as well as on Arabic and International levels.
10. Organizing conferences, seminars and workshops relevant to libraries and documentation, in addition to conducting and participation in books and documents exhibitions both inside and outside Jordan.
11. Organizing gifts programs, distributing rectifieds inside Jordan, and the ratification and enforcement of gifts and mutual exchange agreements with libraries and other International and Arabic foundations.
12. Cooperation with National Libraries and Archives Centers in Arab, Islamic and foreign Countries, as well as with specialized organizations in the domains of libraries and documentation.
To implement these tasks and achieve the desired goals of the National Library Service is working in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan through the law and regulations and instructions are :-
1. Copyright Law No. 22 for the Year 1992 and its amendments
2. Works Deposit in the National Library Regulation No. 5 of the Year 1994 as published in Official Gazette No. 3951 on 16/2/1994
3. Department of the National Library Regulation No. 5 of the Year 1994 as published in the Official Gazette No. 3951 on 16/2/1994